Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Goodbye U.S.....Hello Santo Domingo!

In approximately 3 hours we will leave D.C. and head over to Santo Domingo. It hasn't hit me yet that I will be living on the island for the next 27 months ...si dios quiere.
I think that it will take me stepping foot on Dominican ground for it to really sink in. Everyone seems really nice and I am excited to officially begin this new chapter of my life. Don't get me wrong, saying goodbye to my family this morning was no easy task. What can I say...I laughed...I cried...But honestly, I feel like I am right where I should be. I just cannot wait to arrive and get to work. I can't wait to breathe Dominican air. I imagine it and it seems so wonderful! But really, I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Earlier this evening me and a couple of volunteers walked into 7Eleven and as I walked over the DVD section, one of me and my mother's favorite movies was there...just waiting for my attention. The movie by the way is Evening and I highly recommend it. Anyway, estatic by the awsome and RARE find, I bought it. What are the odds that was going to walk into a 7Eleven today (in Arlington, VA I might add)and find one of my favorite movies of all time? Some may call it a coincidence. Not me. It was something much more powerful than that. It was a sign and it said, "Valerie, you are here for a reason."
But enough about that. This time tomorrow I will be in the DR! Yay!
p.s.- thank you to all who called me today to wish me safe travels! please write!

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing,the world should have more young people like you. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome!!!!!! I love my country. I don't know if you are going to the city for training but good luck. Keep us posted of how DR is doing and your Peace Corps projects; DR, despite the fact that one of the most developed countries of the Mayor Antilles in the Caribbean, it also has high social disparities and high poverty rate.

    ReplyDelete