Tuesday, November 10, 2009

11/7 - SoMe InDePenDeNcE + a hint of guidance = A lot of awsomeness

Today was a good day. Paul and I went to visit a fellow volunteer in a campo about 30minutes from us. We attended Joanna’s community center inauguration reception, which was absolutely amazing. It was so inspiring and motivating to see the fruits of her two year long labor. It was also heart warming to see her interact with her community. It was apparent how close they have grown and how well she integrated over the course of two years. It is hard to imagine that one day, two years from now, I will be in a similar situation. I just hope my community grows to love and adore me as much as Loma Verde loves Joanna!
Today was the first day since I have been at my site that I have felt free and independent. As silly as that sounds when I say it aloud, its true. Since I’ve been here, I have constantly been surrounded by a neighbor, a host family member, a kid, a friend of a neighbor, a family member of a host family member, a friend of a neighbor, etc. I have been walked or driven everywhere and have been accompanied at home any time that I have been perceived me to be lonely. Its been a great experience because I have met tons of people that way, but it has also made me appreciate the little things that I have done for myself for so long like: go to the store, prepare a meal, or just go for a walk.
But today was different. Paul and I walked down the road until we found a shady spot to wait for our camioneta or gua gua, and just waited…and waited…and waited. We actually waited 2 hours until our camioneta passed by. It was great. We hopped on the back of the pick- up truck and joined the 6 passengers that were already seated. One of them immediately knew where we were going. “Vas a donde Joa verdad,? Ella es amiga mia.” It is amazing how the people of the community get to know us and look out for us. Once we made it to our stop, Paul and I decided that we would opt out of the motor ride and walk the loma verde instead. The hill that everyone warned would be way too long to walk turned out to be a serene 15 minute walk. Once we made it to the community, before we got a chance to realize that we couldn’t find Joa’s house, a man standing outside his colmado walked us right to her doorstep. Paul and I had made it! On our own - with a little guidance from our Dominican friends of course – but overall, on our own.

*a week-in review*
It’s crazy to think that I have been at my site for a week now. So many different emotions have circulated through my inner being in the past 7 days, whenever I stop and try to make sense of it, it just gets more confusing. The emotional rollercoaster has been quite a ride, but I am thankful for every dip because it makes the high points that much more meaningful. Even though I have learned and grown so much since I arrived, I feel like this past week has been a special growing period in my life. My mental and emotional states have been challenged and pushed to greater heights. It’s a great feeling to be able to surpass those challenges and look down at them from the top. It is also reassuring because it gives me the confidence to know that despite any challenges that may arise, in the end, I will make it through.

2 comments:

  1. Like the posts...keep them up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Enjoy your time in the DR. The weather should be just about perfect from now until April.

    ReplyDelete