Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy New Year!

Welcome 2010! I am happy to report that Christmas and New Years in the DR was quite the experience. I enjoyed experiencing Noche Buena here (had dinner at 10pm!...ha) with my host family and campo friends and spending New Years with other fellow volunteers in Cabarete. I brought in the new year by the beach! That was a first. So, now with 2009 behind me, I am looking forward to this year and everything that it will bring. It is a time for new beginnings, new experiences, new journeys, chances, opportunities, lessons, friends, and everything else! I am working hard on my community assessment and am excited for the upcoming months to really get started on some projects. This month I am beginning my English seminar with some local youth who are currently already taking an english course in the pueblo. I will also start my girl's group this month, which I am really looking forward to! :) On top of that, starting this week, I will be helping out my project partner at the school where she teaches 2-3 days a week. I am looking forward to being in a classroom setting helping out the little ones! I held volleyball practice this past Saturday and that is still going strong gracias a dios. The girls really enjoy it, and although we practice really early on Saturday mornings (8am!) they are really pumped about it so thats enough for me. Today I was in the capital printing some surveys and getting some additional resources for the girl's club and english courses. Tomorrow I will head back to my site. I think I will stop by the mercado on the way and get some fresh fruit and one or two bottles of honey! The honey is 41pesos...thats a little over one dollar! Mmm, I can taste it now...Nothing beats a natural tea with a dose of honey.
Today I also spoke to my future landlord. Yup, thats right...come february I will be moving out on my own...si dios quiere! I am really excited about this. Essence doesnt know it yet, but she is going to be a much happier dog in about a month when she is able to run around the apartment as she pleases any time!
February is going to be a busy month though. I will be moving into my new place, My family is coming to visit, and I will be in the midst of initiating my girl's club and english class. The following month, one of my best friends is coming to stay with me for a while.
I sense that the next couple of months are going to keep me very busy, but thats a good thing.
Well, that is all for now. Life here is good. It has been a rather cold winter here in the DR. It even gets into the 50's - 60's(F) in the early mornings and late nights. Though its not as astonishing as the snow that has recently fallen in Orlando!
Be sure to check out the new photos I posted (The link is on the top right....above my mailing address)There I have pictures from Christmas Eve, a visit to a private campo of a family friend, Dia de Reyes, and a family Reunion that I went to with my host family on Saturday. We went to a campo called El Jamey about 30 minutes north of my site. It was fun. I took lots of pictures. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, We love all of the pictures. We are very happy that things are going great. Goodluck on your upcoming presentation about your community Diagnostics, it looks you are really meeting your goals for today, tomorrow, and always. We are sooooooo proud of you. Love you, MOM and DAD

    ReplyDelete