Friday, February 26, 2010

First Family Visit!

My mother and aunt returned back to NY last week after visiting me for 8 days. My grandma came also, but she is actually staying in the country for a bit longer so I wont have to say my goodbyes to her just yet. It was great seeing my family and just taking a little vacation to spend time with them. I introduced them to a lot of community members and to my new apartment...which they helped me fix up a bit (a lot actually!)We spent about half of the week at my site and the other half in the capital. I wish that week didnt pass by as quickly as it did.
I am really glad that my family got to see where I will be living and working for the next year and eight months. I think that the light/water/bug situation caused just a sprinkle of culture shock, but I think that their stay helped them to understand my experience a lot better. The only downside to their visit was my slow, (even reluctant) transition back into the role of a peace corps volunteer. Dont get me wrong, I love my community and enjoy the time that I lived here, but it was just comforting to be around my family and experience life in a way that I have not done in over 6 months. I knew it would only be a matter of time though before I got that volunteer ball rolling again and I am happy to say that this week was my transitional week and today, Friday, that ball is officially rolling. Starting tomorrow I continue with volleyball, girls groups, english classes, the book club, and art class.........Oh, the life of service :)
I have posted pictures from my famalias visit, some chicas at our group meeting,students at the local school performing in honor of Dominican Independence, and and ice cream outing with one of my favorite little girls, Nayeli. She turned 9 on Tuesday so I took to her get some ice cream today!
Family Visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment