Sunday, February 28, 2010

Estoy cansada (I'm So Tired!)

Dominican independence is celebrated each year on the 27 of february. It is a cultural time filled with parades, shows, concerts, and carnavals. Yesterday I went to Santo Domingo with my project partners and some girls from the community to see the parade of the armed forces. It was a nice experience, and the sun wasn't blazing on our skin, which was fortunate. I have never been much of a parade lover, but I am glad that I went. More marching band music would have livened things up a bit ...maybe I will include that in my letter to Leonel. haha. Speaking of Mr. Presidente, I was a bit disappointed of his abscence. Not from the event, but from the parade! When the parade ended, I asked why the president had not made an appearance and Lissette informed me that he was at the starting point of the parade, sitting, waving to all of the marchers from a highly secured spot.
What a let down!

After the parade we drove to Manresa for ice cream. There were a good number of people there getting food, ice cream, and putting their kids on the kiddie rides. There was even a carousel! This Brought me back memories of Central Park! After ice cream, we headed back to our wonderful campo in San Cristobal. I fell asleep in the car ( I was soooo tired) but was awakened on the way as I felt the car stop and everyone around me skurry toward the windows on the left side. I woke up to see a red jeep on the side of the road. Nana and Melanie identified the red jeep right away. "Mom thats Ambiodie's(our community's regidor) car." My project partners rushed to the scene as myself and the four other girls watched from the car. Pretty much every male from our campo was at the scene. They carried knives, machetes and other weapons. I did not like the looks of this one bit. "Surely it was a ladron (thief) who they caught and killed," said one of the girls. At this point I am just thinking to myself.."WHAAAAAAAAT??!!" Yup, its actually common here for a community to rally together and kill a thief who has stolen from a community member. Talk about solidarity! People here say that they have to do that because the police do not do anything.

As we sat in the car, one of the girl's brothers came to the car and gave the full story......It turns out that Ambiody was driving and decided to give two guys on the side of the road a bola ( a ride). The guys turned out to be atracadores (bad guys). Out of panic Ambiody swirved off the road. Thankfully Ambiody was okay. Cant say the same for the atracadores though. The entire community showed up to the scence and took care of the rest....

By the time I got home, it was 9:30pm. I was exhausted, sleepy, still a bit nervous, and full from chocolate ice cream. Not to mention I still had to make brownies for the Kermes the following morning and prepare for my english class which would also take place the next morning. I am happy to say that I completed the lesson plan and the brownies... Not so happy to say that I fell asleep at about 3 in the morning! Today I woke up at 7:45am. I took my brownies over to the Kermes (basically a food sale usually for a cause of some sort...in this case , the kermes is for the sick people of our community; especially one woman who is very sick with cancer), stayed to help a bit and then went over to prepare for english class. After class, I went back to the Kermes to help out. For about 2 1/2 hours I stood at the side of the road with a sign asking the cars that passed by to donate to the cause. At about 3pm my feet couldnt take it anymore and I went home to rest a bit. I had been on my feet since 7:45 this morning! Thats 8 hours! I laid down on my bed with the intention to take a quick 30 min nap and them go back to help some more...however, I was awakened by my mothers phone call at about 4:30pm. I waS still extremely exhausted but managed to speak to my mom for about 30minutes. By the time we got off the phone it was about 5:15pm. I wanted to go back out there to help out but my body wouldnt let me. I have taken the rest of the day to sleep, rest, sleep, and rest some more....Boy,from parades to attack scenes to brownines to lesson plans to kermes' to englsh classes....I am tired

1 comment:

  1. Super!!!!! since you were alittle girl I knew you had a special soul. I am glad you have the strength and courage to visual these happenings and understand that those things happens. But always remember to alert everyone when danger trys to strike you. I am tranquil because I know you also have that inner inside voice that alerts you when to keep away from danger. Your are bless, and mi Angel is always with you. Love MOM.

    ReplyDelete